Tuesday, July 14, 2020

One little word can make a really massive difference to your eating

 

IN last week’s blog I challenged you to cut down sugar over the summer.  Apart from sugar being unhealthy, being at the mercy of sugar is a self-esteem crusher and very disempowering.

Sugar zaps your willpower and relies on you being weak-willed to keep you hooked.

On my Facebook live chats last week I spoke about our sugar pod, which is all about change.

It’s about empowerment. It’s about enabling you to want to say No.

I know that for most people, the sugar pod helps them effortlessly to reduce their sugar intake. But others, who maybe have an addiction, need a little extra help.

But here’s the thing – it’s very important to say No in the right way.

Research has shown that just changing one little word can make an astonishing difference to our willingness to resist temptation and stick to our goals.

I’ll be telling you a lot more about this in my Facebook Live tonight on our public Slimpod page at 7.30 UK time.

In fact, I’ll be in our private Slimpod Club talking about sugar on Wednesday at 8pm UK time, and on the public page again on Thursday at 7.30.

And as a bonus, I’ll be live on Instagram on Thursday at 7pm UK time.

Meanwhile, this video will inspire you. Once you’ve watched it on my YouTube channel please hit the Like and the Share buttons as this helps other people to see it too.


Slimpodder Johanna Kelshaw knows all about the power of words. She’s dropped from a size 22 to a size 12 – and as she explains in the video, she now thinks like a thinner person.

If she eats something that she’s not happy about, she now says to herself: “Not sure why that happened – I don’t do that anymore.”

That word “don’t” has an amazing effect.

The technical term for this is psychological empowerment but put simply, neuroscientists have discovered that our brains react very differently to the words “can’t” and “don’t”.

If someone offers you a cake and you say “Sorry, I can’t eat cake” then you feel this is a restriction that is being imposed on you.

It’s hard not to rebel, which is why diets and eating plans don’t work long term.

However, if someone offers you a cake and you say “Sorry, I don’t eat cakes” then it’s a whole new ball game.

“Don’t” is a personal choice. It confirms to your subconscious that you have both determination and willpower.

The research in the Journal of Consumer Research shows you are EIGHT TIMES more likely to resist temptation if you say “I don’t” rather than “I can’t.”

The researchers found that only 10 per cent of people who said “I can’t” stuck to their goals for 10 days.

But a staggering 80 PER CENT who said “I don’t” persisted with their goals.

Who’d have thought one little word could be so powerful?

So make sure you watch my Lives over the next three nights!

And please leave a comment below to let me know how Slimpod is making it easier for you to say No!

 

The post One little word can make a really massive difference to your eating appeared first on Slimpod.

No comments:

Post a Comment