Thursday, March 8, 2018

The inspiring story of Drew Lynch, the comedian who stutters

IT was my 20-year-old daughter who introduced me to Drew Lynch. “Mum, my favourite comedian’s doing a show in London this week and I’d love to take you with me to see him,” she gushed. How could I resist? “He’s one of my favourite You Tubers,” she said.  “He’s fabulous and the thing is, he stutters. Really badly.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. A stand-up comedian who stutters? Do I really want to sit through an hour of that, I thought?

Well, I did. And do you know what? It was the most inspiring and emotional hour I could ever have imagined.

Drew Lynch is 26 and looks about 18. A few years ago he was playing softball and was hit in the throat by a ball, damaging his vocal nerves. Worse, he fell backwards and hit his head – and didn’t realise he had suffered concussion.

Without treatment, his brain never recovered from the damage caused by the fall and Drew was unable to speak normally again.

But he looked adversity in the face and vowed he would conquer his disability. Remarkably, Drew Lynch auditioned for America’s Got Talent and on his first appearance on the show he had the audience, the judges and most of America in tears.

Here’s a video of that emotional night…

What’s so powerful about Drew Lynch’s act is that he tackles his disability head-on and shows that there’s no obstacle in life that can’t be overcome if you have the determination to succeed.

That’s a great lesson for all of us. If you think you can’t do something – like lose 20lbs or run a mile – you’ll never get anywhere.

But if you use the obstacle to your advantage it can help you succeed.  When you vow to succeed, even if it’s against all the odds, as Drew did, you can triumph!

If you want something bad enough, you’ll get it!

Drew Lynch didn’t win America’s Got Talent. He came second – which is an astonishing achievement for a man who can hardly put two words together without struggling.

Here’s another video which shows you how has won the hearts of audiences on both sides of the Atlantic.

One more thing. Drew has a special helper dog called Stella who is trained to raise the alarm if Drew has breathing problems because of his throat injury.

I took a quick snap of Drew and Stella together as we left the theatre the other night.

My daughter was in tears so I asked her if she was crying because she’d fallen for Drew (who is adorable). “No,” she sighed. “It’s Stella. She’s so beautiful.”

I love them both. Because they are one of the most inspiring couples I’ve ever met.

Please tell me what you think of Drew Lynch’s videos. What lessons can we all learn from people with that kind of courage?

The post The inspiring story of Drew Lynch, the comedian who stutters appeared first on Slimpod.

No comments:

Post a Comment